Amazon is looking for an energetic, detail-oriented individual to join our Data Center Engineering Operations Team in Cape Town, SA. This committed group works to maintain the critical physical infrastructure that supports Amazon Web Services. Specifically, this team works to ensure that the data center’s MEP operates at 100% availability while maintaining first-class customer service to the teams and groups within the data centers. The Data Center Senior Chief Engineer (CE) is responsible for ensuring that all electrical, mechanical, and fire/life safety equipment within the data center is operating at peak efficiency. This involves both planned preventative maintenance of equipment, daily corrective work, and emergency response to emergent issues. The CE serves as an expert technical resource, interacting with onsite Engineering Operations Technicians (EOT) and any third party vendors. They are expected to be a singular focal point for all technical facility operations and to support Amazon within its owned and operated data centers.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations and maintenance of mechanical, electrical and life systems equipment in data centers.
- Drive the preventative and corrective maintenance/repair program for their site and coordinate such maintenance with the respective support vendors.
- Utilize internal Change Management Systems to manage building workflows.
- Operate independently with limited direct management.
- Ensure all safety procedures are adhered to by vendor and Amazon staff.
- Provide training and guidance to Engineering Operations Technicians and assisting in recruiting efforts for the same.
- Communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Create and deploy new standard practices for Engineering Operations Technicians, Chief Engineers, and vendor support team
- Develop and publish Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and Emergency Operating Procedures (EOP’s) and train Engineering Operation Technicians on the new SOP’s and EOP’s.
- Perform root cause analysis of equipment failures.
- Support all regions in the EMEA when required.
- Act as an escalation point for all technical facilities-related issues within the data center region and work OT hours as needed to support site stability.
- Provide metric availability reporting on a weekly basis.
- Advise the FM on design and build out of new facilities.
- MV/LV isolation to facilitate downstream switch-gear maintenance.
- Troubleshoot and report facility events within the internal SLA.
- Proven ability to coach and develop junior team members and proactively seeks opportunities to do so.
- Aptitude for hands-on troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Ability to follow , support and formulate procedures, system documentation, and issue tracking entries into a trouble ticket system.
- Ability to solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
- Ability to use building management and electrical management systems to proactively identify anomalies and seek opportunities to improve the efficiency of the building operations
- Ability to maintain SLAs through the implementation of proactive issue detection and immediate response.
- Shows good judgment and instincts in decision-making.
- Ability to prioritize in complex, fast-paced environment.
Qualification & Experience:
- Proven experience of reading single line diagrams (SLDs) and control schematics.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A