Website U.S. Department of Justice
To protect society and positively change the lives of those in our care. You have a vital role in that mission. You are valued and trained to be prepared. You are rewarded beyond benefits with careers that offer endless professional potential and personal growth.
- Provides supervision, care and correctional treatment of inmates.
- Concerned with maintenance of institution security contributing to the health and welfare of the inmates and the promotion of good public relations.
- Enforces rules and regulations governing facility security, inmate accountability and inmate conduct to ensure judicial sanctions are carried out and inmates remain in custody.
- From time to time, may be authorized to carry firearms and to use physical force, including deadly force, to maintain control of inmates.
- During institution emergencies or other periods of heavy workload or limited staff, may be required to work long and irregular hours, unusual shifts, Sundays, holidays and unexpected overtime.
- Information as to operations and procedures is provided by post orders, BOP program statements, local supplements, custodial manual, internal correspondence and staff meetings.
- Incumbent must be flexible and have a broad knowledge base to use own initiative in the resolution of problem situations.
- Ability to reason soundly and to think out practical solutions to problems.
- Ability to lead, supervise, and instruct others.
- Sympathetic attitude towards the welfare of others.
- Ability to meet and deal with people of differing backgrounds and behavioral patterns.
- Ability to be persuasive in selling and influencing ideas.
- Ability to make decisions and act quickly, particularly under stress.
- Poise and self-confidence, and ability to remain calm during emergency situations.
- U. S. Citizenship is Required.
Company: U.S. Department of Justice
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Richmond, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A