Sonke provides funding to external organisations as part of its project implementation activities. The Sub-Awards Specialist will be responsible for managing the sub-award process with a focus on reducing risks to Sonke by assessing the partners’ ability to implement the project, manage funding and work with project managers to monitor sub-recipients, as well as assist with capacity building.
- Determine appropriate sub-award mechanisms for contractual agreements with partners.
- Provide training to Sonke staff on sub-award management procedures.
- Review proposed sub-award budgets and programme activities to determine if budgeted amounts and timelines are appropriate.
- Monitor, develop and implement corrective action plans for sub-recipients.
- Review and update sub-recipient pre-award assessment tools and operating procedures to ensure tools are appropriate.
- Conduct pre-award assessments for each sub-award and determine risk rating for each sub-award.
- Provide orientation to sub-recipients on management of funds, processing of documentation and reporting, as well as preparations for audits.
- Determine the most appropriate and cost-effective method of conducting the pre-award assessment.
- Conduct follow-up post-award assessments to keep assessment ratings current.
- Review donor requirements for sub-award management and develop a plan to ensure compliance with donor requirements
- Work with sub-recipients to address high-risk issues from the pre-award assessment.
- Work with the project manager to identify where capacity building or technical assistance is required.
- Conduct pre-award assessments based on donor and Sonke’s operating procedures.
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building to address risk in relation to pre-award assessments and project deliverables.
- Establish monitoring and follow-up requirements based on the results of the pre-award.
- Minimum 5 years NGO experience.
- Minimum 5 years equivalent experience in a similar capacity in grant management or sub-award management.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills with the ability to prioritize time and work effectively.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English skills and preferably, but not required, another SA language.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Pays attention to detail, displays a high level of integrity, able to multi-task, is deadline driven.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, auditing, finance or related discipline. A Postgraduate degree would be advantageous.
- Ability to balance multiple tasking simultaneously whilst meeting deadlines.
- Strong multi-tasking & problem-solving skills with the ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent computer skills, with high proficiency in Microsoft Office, Pastel Evolution, and Excel.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work across diverse cultural backgrounds.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Application Deadline: N/A