Website Old Mutual
This team’s primary focus is to build and establish the data platform and master data management capabilities by applying industry knowledge, best practices and innovative ideas to take Old Mutual into the future through the use of best of breed technologies and applied thinking and processes on its strategic journey to the cloud.
- Engineer data in the appropriate formats for downstream customers, risk and product analytics or enterprise applications.
- Enable the business to solve the problem of working with large volumes of data in diverse formats, and in doing so, enable innovative solutions.
- Work with various stakeholders across the organisation to understand data requirements and apply technical knowledge of data management to solve key business problems.
- Assist in the development of API’s for returning data to Enterprise Applications.
- Build bulk and delta data lift patterns for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data.
- Assist in designing and implementing scalable and robust processes for ingesting and transforming complex datasets.
- Provide support in the operational environment with all relevant support teams for data services.
- Assists in the creation of blueprints for data management systems to centralize, protect, and maintain data sources.
- Supports the organisation’s cloud strategy and alignment to data architecture and governance.
- Create and maintain functional requirements and system specifications in support of data architecture and detailed design specifications for current and future designs.
- Focused on data stewardship and curation, the data engineer enables the data scientist to run their models and analyses to achieve the desired business outcomes
- Assists in designing, developing, constructing, maintaining and supporting data pipelines for ETL from a multitude of sources.
- Ingest large, complex data sets that meet functional and non-functional requirements.
- Assist in identifying, designing and implementing robust process improvement activities to drive efficiency and automation for greater scalability. This includes looking at new solutions and new ways of working and being on the forefront of emerging technologies.
- Support test and deployment of new services and features.
- Knowledge and understanding of business process management lifecycle which covers the design, modelling, execution, monitoring, and optimization as well as business process re-engineering.
- Good programming, performance tuning and troubleshooting skills, using the latest popular programming languages such as python, scala, java and suite of Microsoft languages C# and F# preferable.
- Good problem solving skills: The ability to exercise judgment in solving technical, operational, and organizational challenges, to identify issues proactively, to present solutions and options leading to resolution
- 1- 3 years of data engineering experience.
- Some experience in bash/ksh, perl, SQL
- Matric, with a degree in Computer Science, Business Informatics, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or Engineering.
- Experience with R, AWS, XML, json, cron will be beneficial
- Knowledge of Engineering and Operational Excellence using standard methodologies. Best practices in software engineering, data management, data storage, data computing and distributed systems to solve business problems with data.
- Some experience in applying SAFe/Scrum/Kanban methodologies would be advantageous.
- Some experience with Dev/OPS architecture, implementation and operation would be advantageous.
- Some experience with designing and implementing Cloud (AWS) solutions including use of APIs available
- 1-3+ years of experience with any data warehouse technical architectures, ETL/ELT, and reporting/analytics tools including , but not limited to , any of the following combinations (1) SSIS and SSRS, (2) ETL Frameworks, (3) Data conformance, (4) Cacheing, (5) Spark (6) AWS data builds
- The candidate having DBA ability and knowledge across at least 2 platforms (example: TSQL, SAS, PSQL, IBM VSAM, DynamoDB and DB2) will also be beneficial.
- Proven ability in at least one of Python, Java, C/C++ or similar
Company: Old Mutual
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Application Deadline: N/A