The Dog Training Apprentice position is a combination of a store partner role while completing the Dog Training Instructor Program (DTIP) to become a Petco certified Positive Dog Trainer. As the Dog Training Apprentice, you must follow Petco’s Positive Dog Training curriculums and methodologies. You must be committed to and show genuine interest in enhancing communication and teamwork between dog and pet parent by offering positive solutions and rewarding success while providing a fun and safe environment for dogs, pet parents and store partners. Provide pet parents with exceptional dog training instruction and customer service by acting as a subject matter expert for Petco’s Positive Dog Training Program products, services and in-store promotions, to our canine pet friends and their pet parents, helping them strengthen their bond through fun and educational training. A Dog Training Apprentice will be a resource in the store regarding Petco’s Positive Dog Training Program and assist in the achievement of the store’s budgeted sales goals by driving sales, while educating and engaging all store partners.
- Upon hiring, must successfully complete (within established timeline) Petco’s Dog Training Instructor Program course and associated Petco onboarding.
- Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings and can command attention, establish clear directions and create a climate that motivates others.
- Reports to an established Petco Positive Dog Trainer Mentor for all instructional curriculum.
- Become familiar with Dog Trainer tools as defined in operational guidelines (such as calendars, flyers, business cards, local store marketing, build an event) and how partners utilize as part of G.U.E.S.T.+ to drive the Dog Training business.
- Must adhere to DTIP training schedule as set forth by Dog Training Mentor.
- Commit to enhancing communication and teamwork between dog and pet parent by offering positive solutions and rewarding success.
- Be a Dog Training related resource in store to support consistent achievement of targeted goals and exhibit the ability to enlist the aid and support to accomplish common tasks.
- Learn and apply the positive training philosophies of the Petco Positive Dog Training Program.
- Begin forming relationships with store management, store partners, grooming partners, 3rd party services vendors and local adoption partners and be familiar with Petco’s Think Adoption First philosophy.
- Must confidently perform all tasks & duties as outlined in Petco’s Dog Training Instructor Program upon completion.
- Complete and maintain other MyLearningCenter courses as assigned.
- Existing Petco partners must successfully complete (within established timeline) Dog Training Instructor Program course.
- Learn how to promote Dog Training classes with G.U.E.S.T.+ model by engaging pet parents and provide solutions to various training challenges, and suggest products needed to assist in solving those issues within established guidelines.
- Interact professionally and effectively with all pet parents and store partners regarding Dog Training or other pet services.
- Be familiar with all new products and services in order to be able to engage with customers regarding new product and services features and benefits.
- Must ensure a safe dog training environment for pet parents, customers, dogs and Petco partners.
- Through observing and role playing, employ ascertained Dog Training customer engagement and enrollment skills leading to class enrollment.
- The majority of job duties are conducted indoors, although merchandise stocking and customer carry-outs will require that an associate leave the store briefly. Position requires bending, kneeling, lifting (up to 50 pounds, as necessary) and standing for long periods of time. The large majority of this associate’s time will be spent in direct contact with our customers and their dogs. During Dog Training Instructor Program travel to mentor store may be required.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Encino, California, US
Application Deadline: N/A