We are seeking partners for our full-service hospitals. These brand-new general practice hospitals will be located inside our Petco stores. The purpose of this position inherently involves providing excellent medical care to our full-service hospital patients and phenomenal customer care to their owners. The Veterinary Assistant represents the mission and values to all clients. Our Veterinary Assistant sets the tone within the technical and customer support staff in the hospital, and is responsible, like all team members, for fostering cohesion and motivation within the team.
- Under supervision of the doctor and/or technician, perform in-hospital treatments for sick patients including giving injectable and oral medications as well as intravenous fluid therapy; keep patients clean, watered, and fed (when indicated and directed by doctor), safely walk canine patients when necessary for elimination.
- Schedule appointments, communicate with and educate clients, relay test results to doctor and clients, maintain and update client/patient records.
- Under direction of the Hospital Office Manager, assist in the training of new staff members and general dissemination of knowledge as required.
- Assist doctors with appointments (routine and emergency), surgery, dentistry, and euthanasia, under supervision from the doctor and the Lead Technician.
- Keep hospital environment neat and clean; perform regular cleaning of environment based on necessity as well as based on a pre-determined maintenance schedule.
- Greet clients and patients arriving for appointments and escort into an exam room, obtain weight and vital signs (temperature, pulse, respirations, pain score, body condition score) and record all in the electronic medical record, begin documentation of the patient visit in the electronic medical record by documenting a thorough patient history.
- Help prepare patients for surgical and dental procedures, assist doctor and/or technician in anesthetizing patients, and under supervision of the doctor and/or technician maintain patients safely under anesthesia while monitoring vital parameters, help monitor patients during recovery and prepare them for going home or transfer to an overnight care facility.
- Perform patient restraint, obtain and process laboratory samples, handle and dispense medications at the direction of the doctor, and help maintain the electronic medical record.
- Must be a team player willing to learn new techniques and treatments, offer creative ideas, and accept change
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be compassionate and sympathetic, and be able to maintain a professional attitude and demeanor during emotional and stressful situations
- Must have telephone and computer skills
Qualification & Experience:
- Preferred to have at least 1 year previous experience working in a veterinary practice or sufficient experience to ensure excellent performance at the above-listed skills
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Shorewood, IL, US
Application Deadline: N/A