As the Dog Trainer, you must follow Petco’s Positive Dog Training curriculums, policies, and training methodologies. The Petco Positive Dog Training Program supports and adheres to “LIMA” which stands for least intrusive, minimally aversive and spotlights the importance of dog trainer skillsets and knowledge base to ensure that Health & Wellness remains priority throughout the training process. You must be committed to and show a genuine interest in enhancing communication and teamwork between dog and pet parent by offering positive solutions and rewarding success while providing a fun and safe environment for dogs, pet parents and Pet Care Center partners. Provide pet parents with exceptional Dog Training instruction and customer service by acting as a subject matter expert for Petco’s Positive Dog Training Program, products, services and promotions, to our canine companions and their pet parents, helping them strengthen their bond through fun and educational dog training.
- Develop training plans for pet parents and their dogs and work to increase the use of positive reinforcement and eliminate the use of punishment. Focus on providing positive training solutions and when it comes to unwanted behaviors, teach the dogs what we want them to so instead.
- Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings and can capture attention, establish clear directions, and create a climate that motivates others.
- Complete and maintain other training courses and acknowledgments as assigned.
- Be familiar with all new products and services to be able to engage with guests regarding their features and benefits. Upon hiring, must complete Petco’s Positive Dog Training Instructor Program with a Petco Certified Dog Trainer Mentor and associated Petco onboarding within specified timeframe.
- Work cross functionally with Pet Care Center partners to build strong community partnerships with strong to grow the dog training business.
- Confidently perform all tasks & duties as outlined in the Dog Training Instructor Program (DTIP).
- Must embrace and advocate the role of Dog Trainer in their Pet Care Center and local area to consistently represent Petco’s diverse culture and positive atmosphere.
- Schedule and maintain dog training calendars to reflect current guidelines and minimum expectations.
- Encompass excellent listening skills and able to effectively coach in an encouraging and motivating way by delivering points efficiently and easily. Ability to influence without authority and drive dog training results.
- Promote the science based positive training philosophies of the Petco Positive Dog Training Program and ensure a safe dog training environment for pet parents, guests , dogs, and all Petco partners.
- Maintain Dog Training area cleanliness and equipment per Operational guidelines and Policy and Procedures. This includes but is not limited to maintaining dog training barriers, seating, dog training kiosk and associated signage.
- Maintain ethical standards while working with dogs, pet parents, and all Pet Care Center partners.
- Adhere to and promote established safety and loss prevention procedures.
- Background in public speaking, presenting, and facilitating a group.
- Possess basic computer skills with the ability to quickly research information from the Internet.
- Provide quick and courteous service to all Petco guest customers by determining their needs and sharing product knowledge and dog training recommendations.
- Comfort level with technology and the ability to coach others on troubleshooting issues.
- Must successfully complete Petco’s Positive Dog Training Instructor Program upon hiring, within established timelines
Qualification & Experience:
- High school diploma or GED is generally preferred.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Shorewood, IL, US
Application Deadline: N/A