As the Dog Trainer, you must follow Petco’s Positive Dog Training curriculums, policies, and training methodologies. The Petco Positive Dog Training Program supports and adheres to “LIMA” which stands for least intrusive, minimally aversive and spotlights the importance of dog trainer skillsets and knowledge base to ensure that Health & Wellness remains priority throughout the training process. You must be committed to and show a genuine interest in enhancing communication and teamwork between dog and pet parent by offering positive solutions and rewarding success while providing a fun and safe environment for dogs, pet parents and Pet Care Center partners. Provide pet parents with exceptional Dog Training instruction and customer service by acting as a subject matter expert for Petco’s Positive Dog Training Program, products, services and promotions, to our canine companions and their pet parents, helping them strengthen their bond through fun and educational dog training.
- Complete and maintain other training courses and acknowledgments as assigned.
- Schedule and maintain dog training calendars to reflect current guidelines and minimum expectations.
- Develop training plans for pet parents and their dogs and work to increase the use of positive reinforcement and eliminate the use of punishment. Focus on providing positive training solutions and when it comes to unwanted behaviors, teach the dogs what we want them to so instead.
- Maintain Dog Training area cleanliness and equipment per Operational guidelines and Policy and Procedures. This includes but is not limited to maintaining dog training barriers, seating, dog training kiosk and associated signage.
- Maintain ethical standards while working with dogs, pet parents, and all Pet Care Center partners.
- Be familiar with all new products and services to be able to engage with guests regarding their features and benefits. Upon hiring, must complete Petco’s Positive Dog Training Instructor Program with a Petco Certified Dog Trainer Mentor and associated Petco onboarding within specified timeframe.
- Encompass excellent listening skills and able to effectively coach in an encouraging and motivating way by delivering points efficiently and easily. Ability to influence without authority and drive dog training results.
- Promote the science based positive training philosophies of the Petco Positive Dog Training Program and ensure a safe dog training environment for pet parents, guests , dogs, and all Petco partners.
Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings and can capture attention, establish clear directions, and create a climate that motivates others.
- Confidently perform all tasks & duties as outlined in the Dog Training Instructor Program (DTIP).
- Work cross functionally with Pet Care Center partners to build strong community partnerships with strong to grow the dog training business.
- Background in public speaking, presenting, and facilitating a group.
- Possess basic computer skills with the ability to quickly research information from the Internet.
- Must successfully complete Petco’s Positive Dog Training Instructor Program upon hiring, within established timelines
- Comfort level with technology and the ability to coach others on troubleshooting issues.
Qualification & Experience:
- High school diploma or GED is generally preferred.
- Previous experience teaching positive reinforcement Dog Training techniques in group or class settings preferred
- CPDT-KA or Karen Pryor Academy (KPA-CTP) certifications preferred.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: National City, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A