Website University of Johannesburg
Reporting to both the Deputy Vice-Chancellors Academic and Research & Internationalisation, the Executive Dean is a member of the UJ Executive Leadership Group (ELG), and is responsible for shaping, leading and delivering world-class, transformative education, professional development and postgraduate programmes, coupled with a strong focus on research with impact.
- Promote the reputation and standing of the CBE in local, national, regional, and global context.
- Promote and advance excellence in research and innovation – both in quality and quantity.
- Ensure effective and efficient management of the College’s research centres, finances, subsidies, and other resources.
- Develop and implement relevant online, inbound/outbound/virtual and/or joint academic programmes.
- Strengthen relationships with the public and private sectors, and with professional societies/councils, departments of education, and academic partners in South Africa and internationally.
- Determine, articulate, implement and lead CBE based strategic initiatives to enhance the UJ’s reputation and performance in accordance with its 2025 Strategic Objectives, viz. enhancing Global Excellence and Stature (GES) in the context of decolonisation, 4IR and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Implement policies and develop resources that promote and enhance the research as well as learning and teaching capacity and capabilities of the CBE, including raising funds in support of research and learning and teaching, and Continuous Education.
- Effectively manage academic, administrative, and professional support staff, including staff recruitment, development and retention.
- Oversee an effective, competitive, and responsive Programme Qualification Mix, including joint programmes with international peer universities.
- Ensure the highest level of CBE governance, administration and systems functioning, including CBE enrolment planning, management of the students’ academic life cycle and risk management.
- Ensure the effective and efficient delivery of the College’s academic programmes across academic departments and disciplines.
- Develop and deepen excellence and innovation in learning and teaching, including online/blended learning pedagogy, the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning and Academic Citizenship and Leadership.
- An excellent academic reputation evidenced by a sustained record of research output.
- Excellent conflict management and administrative skills.
- Exceptional ability and resilience to function under pressure.
- Substantial academic stature commensurate with an appointment at Professional level, with a PhD or equivalent qualification.
- Unquestionable professional integrity and stature.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent strategic leadership skills and knowledge, insight, and vision regarding the teaching profession, nationally and internationally.
Qualification & Experience:
Company: University of Johannesburg
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, SA
Application Deadline: N/A